Peaked & Tuned by CB World's Expert Technicians- Read more about our service here.
The Uniden Bearcat 980 is the only current Uniden CB radio with SSB operation. It features a large, easy to read illuminated control panel for easy use in all lighting conditions and comes with a newly designed microphone with a ergonomic pistol grip. This is a great looking radio. I'm a big fan of the digital controls and displays on the newer radios coming out. This one is no exception. I noticed right away the controls feel more solid than some others, namely the Cobra® 29LX. The 6 pin microphone plug was a little off putting until I found the 4 pin to 6 pin adapter in the box. Good move by Uniden there. One feature that popped out at me was the channel scan. Probably not that exciting for most people, but I do get a lot of requests for a CB radio with that feature and not many of them have it.
Uniden Bearcat BC980 Features:
- 40 Channel operation
- Dynamic squelch control
- Mic gain HI/LO button
- RF gain control
- Frequency Counter
- Noise canceling mic with extra long cord
- 4-6 pin adapter available
- Channel indicator
- Instant channel 9/19
- PA/CB switch
- Large digital S/RF/CAL/SWR meter
- Backlit control knobs/buttons
- SSB USB/LSB
- Delta tune
- Radio diagnostics
- ANL/Noise Blanking
- 7 color display options
- Easy to read laser etched keys
- Enhanced graphics
- Variable talk back
- Dimmer switch day/night
- NOAA weather channels
- Memory Scan
- All Channel Scan
- Antenna/RF/Voltage indicator
- Wireless mic compatible
- Dual Clarifier (Course/Fine)
What is in the box:
- Uniden Bearcat BC980 SSB CB Radio
- 6 pin CB Microphone
- 6 pin to 4 pin Microphone adapter
- Power cord with 6 amp fuse
- Mounting bracket and hardware
- Microphone hanger
- Size: 2.25" H x 7.25" W x 7.5" D (without knobs and jacks)
- This is a standard sized radio. It will install without difficulty in most vehicles that have some room.
- The power cord for this radio is detachable for easy routing.
- This CB radio includes a mounting bracket with two 5mm thumb screws for mounting. Need replacement knobs? Check out the AUDX2.
- Looking for a replacement radio bracket? Check out the CB74.
- Looking for a replacement power cord? Check out the AUCB91 power cord. You will also need a larger fuse for this power cord- see the 10AMP fuse.
- Use this radio as a base station by using a PS12 Power Supply.
Calibrate Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) for the BC980SSB:
Check and calibrate the SWR to ensure your antenna system is properly tuned.
1. Connect the antenna.
2. Turn Channel Selector to set the channel to channel 1.
3. Press the S/RF/CAL/SWR button to set to CAL. Press and hold the PTT button and rotate the control knob until the bar meter aligns with CAL.
4. Press the S/RF/CAL/SWR button to set to SWR. Transmit and note the SWR reading.
5. Repeat step 2-4 on channel 40.
6. Your goal is to have the SWR readings on channel 1 and 40 to be about the same number and under 2 (ideally). If channel 40 SWR is higher than channel 1 SWR, shorten the antenna system. If channel 40 SWR is lower than channel 1 SWR, lengthen the antenna system until you achieve the best SWR readings.
If any adjustments are needed, they should be made in small increments. Re-check after each adjustment. Be sure to have all components on the antenna when testing, including the tip/cap if there is one.
If you have already optimized your current antenna setup (similar readings on Channel 1 and 40) and you still want to improve your SWR readings, you can try a different antenna, a different mounting location, or, if you are setting up a dual antenna system, try utilizing only one of the antennas instead of both. Sometimes, you will get better performance from using one antenna instead of two.
Helpful links to our Help Center:
No posts found